Cliffs Pavilion
The photo on the right shows the Borough's 1930s plans for a 'Shorefields Pavilion'. The build boasted a large hall, seating 1,500; dance floor; stage; sun lounges and tea rooms with magnificent views over the estuary. The Borough had acquired the grounds of Shorefield House (on the corner of Station Road) and part of the adjoining cliffs in the late 1920s and landscaped the 'New Cliff Gardens' there by 1930. In the 1930s, the Borough compulsorily purchased 'Castle Thorpe', an 1897 building that had stood adjacent to Shorefield House and this was demolished to make way for the new Pavilion. The foundations were laid and piles driven in 1938 for the building that was originally planned as the 'Shorefields Pavilion'. The work went no further than the foundations as the project was then abandoned for the duration of the war and there was a delay after the war due to the lack of funds available and questions about the best use of the site. Meanwhile, Fred Ramuz had died in 1946 and his land then became available on the San Remo Parade side of the site. Thus, when the project was revived the new Cliffs Pavilion was to be built a little to the side and nearer to the cliff than the original foundations. In 1955, the Southend Standard showed plans for the new cliffs pavilion. The cost was to be £125,000. The pavilion, with its first class restaurant seating 250, its conference hall with 1500 seats and 200 seats on the stage was set to open in 1957. In the event, the site was levelled in 1959 and the demolition of Shorefield shops (Station Road) and the east side of San Remo Parade took place in about 1960. The new Cliffs Pavilion finally opened in 1964.
2020 Cliffs Pavilion
By Warwick Conway
1939 Artists Impression of the new Shorefields Pavilion, The Cliffs, Westcliff, Showing south & south east elevation
2020 Cliffs Pavilion
Saturday 4th July 1964: Official Opening of the Cliffs Pavilion 2:30pm: The building will be open to viewing by guests invited to the opening ceremony. 3:45pm The guests are required to take their seats in the auditorium. 4:00pm Opening Ceremony: The formal opening ceremony will take place, in which The Worshipful The mayor Alderman E. E Morris J.P. will introduce Mr Bernard Miles C.B.E., and will invite Mr Miles to dedicate the Cliffs Pavilion officially open. Mr Bernard Miles will speak. The Chairman of the Pier and Entertainments Committee, Alderman A. H. White will thank Mt Miles for performing the ceremony. 4:45pm: The official party will leave the platform. The Royal Artillery orchestra, The Herald of Trumpets of the Royal Artillery. 5:00pm: The building will close to the public to prepare for the ballet. 7:45pm A Gala Performance: Coppelia Ballet by Ballet Rambert.
Timeline: 1930: Winter garden plan announced. 1935: Council buy the land. 1937: Tenders for the construction of a hexagonal building are called in. 1938: Work starts on the Cliffs Pavilion to a cost of £20,000 but stops due to the Second World War. The site would be left untouched for decades. 1956: Ministry agree to open an inquiry for funding. 1957: Ministry agree to funding. 1960: Work on the Cliffs Pavilion restarts. Saturday 4th July 1964: Cliffs Pavilion officially opens.
Official 1964 Opening programme

Southend Timeline Southend-on-Sea © 2009 - 2021. All Rights Reserved

Website Info:
IMELINE
T
OUTHEND
S
SOUTHEND TIMELINE
Southend’s No 1 History Website! Documenting The Town & The Townspeople Now Incorporating the Sea of Change Website
The New