Coat of Arms
Southend-on-sea

Southend Timeline Southend-on-Sea © 2009 - 2021. All Rights Reserved

Armorial Bearings of the County Borough explained The Abbey in Cluny, in France, founded by a sect of the Benedictine Order of Monks in the tenth century, established a settlement in England, including the Cluniac Priory of St. Mary, Prittlewell, which had a great influence over this district. The seal of the Priory contains a Lily Pot, the emblem of the Virgin, and representing the Mother Parish of St. Mary, Prittlewell. The Lily Pot therefore forms the central feature of the Arms in the shield and is shown on a silver “pile” (i.e., the white triangular background in the centre of the shield). The rest of the background is blue, indicative of the Sea. In the middle of the shield to the left is a golden anchor, the emblem of St. Clement, the Patron Saint of Leigh. To the right is a golden gridiron, the emblem of St. Lawrence, the Patron Saint of Eastwood. At the bottom of the shield is a golden trefoil, the emblem of Holy Trinity, the Parish Church of Southchurch. The Supporters, or figures supporting the shield, are on the left a medieval fisherman, trailing a net with his right hand, and on the right a bearded Monk of the Cluniac Order, holding a red book in his right hand and a staff in his left hand, and these were chosen because it was largely due to the efforts of these two classes of men that the place first distinguished itself. The Crest, placed above the shield is all in red, and represents a ship’s mast coming out of of a mural crown, and flying an early English flag, containing the Cross of St. George, England’s Patron Saint. A “mural crown” is a coronet made of masonry to represent the walls of a City, and is an honourable distinction, associated with Crests of several Cities and Towns. The motto “Per Mare Per Ecclesiam” translated “By the Sea and by the Church” recognises that the importance and growth of the County Borough are due to these two great influences. The Livery Colours of Southend-on-Sea are Blue and Silver. The Arms and Crest were granted by Letters Patent dated 1st 5th January , George V, 1915. The Supporters were granted by Letters Patent dated 2nd 5th January, George V, 1915.
The background is normally blue, indicative of the Sea
Lily Pot, the emblem of the Virgin, and representing the Mother Parish of St. Mary, Prittlewell
Golden anchor, the emblem of St. Clement, the Patron Saint of Leigh
Medieval fisherman, trailing a net with his right hand
Golden gridiron, the emblem of St. Lawrence, the Patron Saint of Eastwood
Bearded Monk of the Cluniac Order, holding a red book in his right hand and a staff in his left hand
Golden trefoil, the emblem of Holy Trinity, the Parish Church of Southchurch
The motto “Per Mare Per Ecclesiam” translated “By the Sea and by the Church”
A “mural crown” is a coronet made of masonry to represent the walls of a City
The Crest, a ship’s mast coming out of of a mural crown
Early English flag, containing the Cross of St. George, England’s Patron Saint
Shield
Coat of Arms on the entrance wall to the Civic Centre
Southend-on-Sea and the motto “Per Mare Per Ecclesiam” on side entrance doors to the Civic building
Flag Staff in the grounds of the Civic Centre
Silver “pile”
Close-up of the Coat of Arms on the entrance wall to the Civic Centre
Website Info:
IMELINE
T
OUTHEND
S
SOUTHEND TIMELINE
Southend’s No 1 History Website! Documenting The Town & The Townspeople Now Incorporating the Sea of Change Website
The New