Leonard Baum
Baum’s The Furriers closed in 1988 after nearly 70 years trading in the town. The firm at the time closed to concentrate on other business interests, this brought the end of the family business which started in 1919. Leonard Baum who was born 13th May 1894, was still taking an active interest in the company at the age of 94 up to closure. Mr Baum started the business in a room of a house in Heygate Avenue, Southend, where he designed and made coats with the help of his wife. In twelve months they had expanded to their site in London Road, in 1937 the premises were completely rebuilt, and again they extended just over a decade later. Baum’s opened their second shop in Leigh Broadway in 1958 and it was not until 1976 they changed their operation when they condensed their London Road showroom and Crosby Estates took over the redundant premises. The firm celebrated their diamond jubilee (60 years) in 1979, the closure of the company saddened many local residents who had grown up with the familiar sight of Baum’s furriers standing proudly opposite the The Cricketers. Leonard Baum died in 1990 in Southend.
Southend-on-Sea
The old Baum’s Shop
1935 Baum’s Shop Advert
1961 Baum’s Shop Advert

Southend Timeline Southend-on-Sea © 2009 - 2021. All Rights Reserved

Website Info:
IMELINE
T
OUTHEND
S
SOUTHEND TIMELINE
Southend’s No 1 History Website! Documenting The Town & The Townspeople Now Incorporating the Sea of Change Website
The New