Carol Edwards
Carol Edwards has been a freelance writer for many years. As well as writing and publishing seven local history books, has had a number of articles published in various magazines as well as interviews in the local paper. Living in the town since 1947, Carol is married with two daughters and three grandchildren. An enthusiastic local history researcher and interviewer, I hope there will be further titles to add to her catalogue. Listed below are her current titles:
Hamlet Court Road, Westcliff-on-Sea, Essex. Following the construction of the Queens Hotel near Westcliff train station in 1899, the development of Hamlet Court Road was soon urbanised with large impressive Edwardian houses. Many of the residents were commuters to London. It soon became obvious there was a need to provide every day amenities from grocers to ladies and gentleman’s clothing. Barbers, hairdressers, and in the 1900s names now well known, such as Barclays Bank, Havens, Smerdons, Garons and R. A. Jones. There were so many less well known names who contributed to the success of the road. Some of the beautiful architecture reminds us of Hamlet Courts wonderful history. Date: 2018 ISBN: 978-0-9562201-8-9
The High Street, Southend-on-Sea, Essex. Built on land owned by Daniel Scratton, the Royal Hotel built in 1792 saw the area surrounding the building go on to become what we know today as The High Street. Sometimes known as Whitegate Road and Broadway. By the Edwardian period names familiar to us began to appear. Brightwells, Ravens, Garons, and Keddies. Public houses were built and with the changing times came the cinema and bus transport. This book tells the story of some of the families who helped create the history of this busy shopping area. Date: 2016 ISBN: 978-0-9562201-5-8
The Life and Times of the Houseboats of Leigh-on-Sea, Essex. The photographs and memories of the houseboat dwellers, who lived on the Thames at Leigh, between the two World Wars. Date: 2009 ISBN: 978-0-9562201-0-3
Seaside Entrepreneurs; Absaloms & Jaquests, Southend- on-Sea, Essex. The story of two entrepreneurs, Henry Absalom and John Jaquest, who saw in the popularity to visit the seaside from the 1800’s, the opportunity to change their lives. Date: 2010 ISBN: 978-0-9562201-1-0
Leigh Hill, Leigh-on-Sea, Essex. The history and development of the highway that travels down from The Broadway to the railway line, from the 1800s -1980s. Date: 2011 ISBN: 978-0-9562201-2-7
The Old Town, Leigh-on-Sea, Essex. For centuries fishermen and their families have lived and worked in Old Leigh, providing life's necessities were others who shared their space on the High Street. From the 1840's onwards there were coal merchants, butchers, grocers, drapers, a blacksmith and even a post office. Alternative employment came from the public houses, the gas works, nearby farms and the railway, which arrived in 1854. With frequent trains from London, more and more visitors came to the town in the summer and this saw an increase in the number of cafés and restaurants to cater for their needs. Meet some of the families, not connected to fishing, who over the decades have contributed to the history of The High Street Old Leigh. Date: 2013 ISBN: 978-0-9562201-3-4
The Broadway, Leigh-on-Sea, Essex. The Broadway was originally called Leigh Hall Road and when the first upmarket houses appeared in the 1800's, was no more than a dirt track. In 1888 the first shop appeared, leading to the conversion of many of the lower part of the houses to retail outlets. As the developers moved in- notably Frederick F Ramuz, who as well as buying up land, financed the building of The Grand Hotel for one Henry Choppin. Cinema's, a public house and a library were to follow. Date: 2014 ISBN: 978-0-9562201-4-1
Copies available from Leigh Heritage Centre. 8-13 High St, Leigh-on-Sea, Essex. SS9 2EN. Waterstones. 49-51 High St, Southend-on-Sea, Essex. SS1 1HZ. Direct from Carol Edwards
A Journey Along The Golden Mile, Southend-on-Sea, Essex. From taking the waters to playing the slot machines, the seafront at Southend-on-Sea has seen many changes. People from near and far came to serve the needs of the visitor. From Italy, the Zanchi’s with their restaurants, the Kontil and Black families, from Romania, with shops selling fancy goods. Abraham Kirschner, Austrian, a shell fish bar and Gulielmo Martinali, Swiss, confectioner. Where there is food there must be drink and Marine Parade numbered several Public Houses. The 1800s had the extended Trigg family as publicans, the 1960s saw Harry Threadgold the footballer as the Licensed Victualler of the now demolished Ship Public House. The Kursaal attracted the Lecorgne and Grecort families from France, with their rides and stalls. Nearer to home came William Knatchbull and the Newbury- Smiths with their amusement arcades. Baileys fish and chip shop, and Photographer George Pryor, snapping for prosperity the changing face of the tripper. Their stories have created the seaside we experience today. Date: 2019 ISBN: 978-0-9562201-9-6
Our Town Remembered, Southend-on-Sea, Essex. From the 1900s Southend-on-Sea’s Borough Engineers and Surveyors were involved with the planning and development of our town. Recording the growth of the area from the Esplanades on the seafront to the main thoroughfares as they changed from country lanes to major highways. Many of the images shown here in this publication record the history of our town. Date: 2021 ISBN: 978-0-9562201-7-2

Southend Timeline Southend-on-Sea © 2009 - 2022. All Rights Reserved

Southend-on-Sea’s No 1 History Website! Documenting The Town & The Townspeople
Now Incorporating The Sea Of Change Website
Website Info:
Chalkwell ▪ Eastwood ▪ Leigh-on-Sea ▪ Prittlewell ▪ Shoeburyness ▪ Southchurch ▪ Thorpe Bay ▪ Westcliff-on-Sea