Dr George Davidson Deeping J.P
Dr George Davidson Deeping J.P., District Medical Officer of Health, for many years and one who played a major part in Southend’s early development, who died in 1909. When he came to Southend the place had only two grocery and two drapery shops. He recalled that in the present High Street there were the shops of Mr Brightwell and Mr Chignell; a post office; the British School; Mr Weston’s house and gardens; Mr Attridge’s thatched cottage; the L. T. and S. Railway Station “which looked like a magnificent shed” the Middleton and Luker’s brewery. There were no other buildings in the High Street but hedges of hawthorn and sweet briar and blackberry bushes. There were also many fine chestnut trees. Avenue road was then a lane leading to Prittlewell; masses of primroses and violets grew there. Nearby was a working windmill and there was another at Prittlewell. When Dr Deeping left Southend in 1900, a town’s meeting was called to pay tribute to his public work in Southend for over 28 years and he was presented with a gold watch and illuminated address. Dr Deeping was a member of the Local Board and played an important part in stemming the local outbreaks of typhoid. He also helped greatly in the provision of Victoria Hospital. His son, Warwick Deeping, the author, wrote several books which featured Southend and the activities of his father.
L. T. and S. Railway Station
Victoria Hospital

Southend Timeline Southend-on-Sea © 2009 - 2021. All Rights Reserved

Website Info:
IMELINE
T
OUTHEND
S
SOUTHEND TIMELINE
Southend’s No 1 History Website! Documenting The Town & The Townspeople Now Incorporating the Sea of Change Website
The New