Southchurch Hall
Southchurch Hall was formerly the Manor House of Southchurch. The hall is surrounded by a deep moat watered by two springs, and until the early 1920s served as a farm house. In 1925 it was presented to the Southend Corporation, with the surrounding area, by the family of the the late Mr Thomas Dowsett. The Corporation adapted the whole area for use as a public recreation ground. The Hall, was restored and preserved, which dates from the early half of the Fourteenth Century, and consists of an open central hall with two storey wings at the East and West ends. It contains some good timber work and is of special interest as being one of the oldest domestic buildings now surviving in Essex. In medieval times it had its private chapel dedicated to St. Katherine. The Manor, Belonged to the monks of Canterbury Cathedral, but was, from very early times, let “at farm.” For nearly two centuries it was held by members of the de Southchurch family, the most famous of whom was Sir Richard de Southchurch, who was sheriff of Essex and Hertfordshire, in 1265-7, gained an unenviable notoriety for his abuse of the royal powers vested in him.

Southend Timeline Southend-on-Sea © 2009 - 2021 All Rights Reserved

Website Info:
Southend’s No 1 History Website! Documenting The Town & The Townspeople Now Incorporating the Sea of Change Website
The New