Schofield & Martin
By 1898 Schofield and Martin had three stores in the area one at 33 Alexandra Street, second at 1 Brewery Road (name changed later to Southchurch Avenue, also, same premises but number changed to 5) and a third at the bottom of Hamlet Court Road, Westcliff-on-Sea opposite the Queen’s Hotel. 1912 10 & 33 Alexandra Street, Southend. 5 Southchurch Avenue, and 30 & 140 Hamlet Court Road Westcliff-on-Sea. 1929 33 Alexandra Street, 189 High Street, Southend. 22 & 158 Hamlet Court Road Westcliff. 198 Eastern Esplanade and 747 London Road. By the middle 1940s Schofield and Martin had expanded out of town to adjoining areas. The company now owned twelve shops and employed approximately 120 staff. Waitrose acquired the chain at the end of 1944, the partnership traded under the Schofield and Martins name until the 1960s. In August 1951 the branch in Southend was to become the location of the Partnership’s new experiment. The High Street store was converted to trade as a “new style self service store.” The branch was so successful the results was to change the face of the Partnership’s food retailing. 1961 11 - 13 High Street, Southend. 22 & 158 Hamlet Court Road, Westcliff. 747 London Road Westcliff. 63 The Broadway, Leigh. By 1968 all the Schofield and Martin’s Stores had disappeared.
c1905 Schofield & Martin’s Stores. 1 Brewery Road/5 Southchurch Ave, Southend
1898 Advert for Schofield & Martin’s Stores
c1905 Schofield & Martin’s Stores. 33 Alexandra Street, Southend
c1905 Schofield & Martin’s Stores. Westcliff

Southend Timeline Southend-on-Sea © 2009 - 2021. All Rights Reserved

Website Info:
IMELINE
T
OUTHEND
S
SOUTHEND TIMELINE
Southend’s No 1 History Website! Documenting The Town & The Townspeople Now Incorporating the Sea of Change Website
The New