Timeline
1930 The Luker’s Brewery building, High Street, is demolished. Ekco Ltd set up their new factory in Southend. Essex Yacht Club change boat. The Gypsy had served the club for a number of years, but time took its toll of the floating headquarters so much so, this year the club moved into a former Tilbury ferry boat called 'Carlotta', which was also renamed 'Gypsy'. However, with the outbreak of the Second World War, the Essex Yacht Club's HQ was soon requisitioned by the Government, being sunk near Tower Pier, London, by enemy action. This left Essex homeless until for a short period they took over the Old Leigh Station buildings previous to the purchase in 1947 of 'Lady Savile' a Dover harbour tender of substantial proportions. Dramatic Lifeboat rescue. November brought about a regular rescue for the lifeboat team at Southend pier. The Thames Barges were suffering angry waters causing them to drag there anchors, and the crews of no less than 4 barges needed assistance. Burning blankets achieved the result of raising the alarm, and it was not long before the Greater London was plucking the crews from their stricken vessels the Marion, Emily, Charles and Esther. New Church for Leigh. St Margaret's Church is situated on Lime Avenue in Leigh and was built in 1930 and is one of Southend's more recent churches. The first priest-in-charge was Father Francis Hilditch. The foundation stone for the church building was laid on 26th July 1930 by Henry Wilson, the Bishop of Chelmsford, and most of the church was built within 40 weeks at the cost of £8,500. The north aisle and Blessed Sacrament (Ascension) chapel was added later in 1938. The mission church became the church hall and survived for a further 34 years. The Great Rameses dies. This amazing magician, although born in Russian Poland had a soft spot for Southend. He had toured most of the countries music halls under his title of the Great Rameses but was really called Albert Marchinsky. In 1917 he decided to plough his fortune into the Empire Theatre in Alexandra Street, but this brave venture failed and he went back out on the road. In 1930 he was back in the town, in July he needed an urgent operation and died in the Victoria Hospital in Warrior Square aged 54. Kent Elms Corner. An area of Eastwood that meets up with the A127, housing in this area started to be developed this year. This land area includes the Devonshire Gardens estate. Dixons begins. Charles Kalms opens the first Dixons photographic studio at 32 High Street, Southend. Not to be mistaken for J. L. Dixons at the top of the High Street. This Dixons became the national brand later absorbed into Currys. Southchurch Hall. This magnificent Tudor hall now in the hands of the Local Authority, received a much needed makeover in 1930. Some original doorways and windows were uncovered during the restorations. The Hall was used as a public library until 1973 and now houses a local museum that attracts around 18000 visitors annually. A Queen is crowned. This year noted The Hippodrome, in Southchurch Road; which at this time was the live entertainment venue of the town. Seeing the likes of Gracie Fields, Houdini, Flanagan and Allen and Little Titch, would witness amazing crowds turning up for the crowning of this year's Carnival Queen, so packed people were standing at the back of the auditorium and sitting in the aisles on 15th August 1930. Live Cricket at the pier. At a time when TV was in its infancy and radio's were too heavy to lug around, there was always away to keep up with the latest sport. Thanks to Johnnie Walker whisky who sponsored a number live scoreboards one being at the pier entrance cricket fans could watch the action on the board as it happened. This amazing bit of machinery worked in conjunction with a team of commentators live at the ground along with telephony linking the board operators. 1931 Canvey Island ceases to be a true island. The first ever bridge to the main land was opened. Southend fire department takes delivery of there first new Miles fire engine. Seafront boating lake opens. A remarkable landmark that would prove to be a signature for Southend seafront opened in 1931. This boating lake would become a scene on many a Southend postcard. Southend road patrol formed. Southend Police due to necessity of the expansion of the road network and the increasing number of visitors coming into the town by car, set up on 18th March 1931 a separate road patrol. The force's fleet was made up then of 4 cars, a single motorbike and 3 motorbike combinations. Westcliff High School for Girls opens. Southchurch Hall and Gardens. A significant piece of history received great attention. The first Mayor of Southend Thomas Dowsett J.P. on behalf of his family donated Southchurch Hall and gardens for the enjoyment of the people of Southend. On 2nd June 1931, Dowsett's son also called Thomas, formally opened the hall after restoration as a library for the town. The grounds were opened separately by the then Mayor Alderman Albert Martin. July. International bowling matches at Southend. Southend Stadium opens for dogs. Located off Sutton Road this shiny new stadium welcomed a new sport to the town. The first greyhound meeting ran in September 1931. This ground became famous for the running of the Thames Silver Salver. The last ever meeting was on Boxing Day 1985. The site now belongs to Mecca Bingo and Matalan to name just two. Lifstan Way constructed. A direct road from the White Horse to the Easter Esplanade was being built this year, to be called Lifstan Way, perpetuating the memory of the gift of the Manor of Southchurch, by Lifstan the monk, to Christ Church, Canterbury well over a thousand years ago. The original measurements of this road was 1,440 yards long and 60 ft wide between fences, with a 36 ft carriageway. There were two 6 ft, gravel paths and two 6 ft grass ways. The carriageway will be finished in clinker, hard core and tarred macadam. Work started on 1st October. Saxon arch found. As if Prittlewell's St Mary's Church did not have enough history. 1931 saw another discovery in the shape of a Saxon Arch discovered in the north wall. Confirming that on this site was one of the first Christian churches in the country. Station for Southchurch. A new rail station arrived in 1931. Southend East, so called to try and spread the visitors to the town along the seafront. Kiwi's play cricket. Essex County Cricket played host at Southchurch Park to the New Zealanders in August 1931. Essex to their credit drew the match. Countess elected. This would the last time the Countess of Iveagh would stand for election; on 27th October a straight battle ensued between the Tory Countess and her Labour opposition with a significant vote in favour of the Countess, the results: Countess of Iveagh (Conservative) 46,564, Mr A. E. Bechervaise (Labour) 7,741. Providing a Conservative majority of 38,823. 1932 Southend Corporation bought Porters from Sir Charles Nicholson. Rossi's Ice cream. Pietro and Luisa Rossi moved to Southend from Consett to go into partnership with Massimiliano and Anna Rossi who had already established Rossi's Ice-cream at 1 Marine Parade, 37 High Street and Western Esplanade. New Station for the town. Southend East came alive for passenger traffic in 1932. The area had always been in existence and had been known as Southend Sidings for carriages and goods. The need of the town however was to tempt the day visitors to disembark further along the line and to take the pressure off Southend Central, and spread the beach along the coast. The sidings gave way to development leaving the Southend East Station to remain in solitude. J. H. Jacks Ltd. A new clothing factory was established this year in Southchurch, at one time employing 250 workers. The company specialised in producing shirts and pyjama's. Turning to the war effort to produce RAF and demob clothing and of clothing for Russian children. The Gas light & Coke Company purchased the Southend Company, taking over the main works on Eastern Esplanade. New Hospital. Southend General Hospital replaced the Victoria Hospital in Warrior Square on 26th July 1932. Built in a green area to the west of the town along Prittlewell Chase; the hospital would be able to deal with up to 221 patients. Tram ticket office goes. Since 1910 the tram ticket office in Victoria Circus, positioned outside the Technical College, provided an invaluable service to the travelling public of Southend, in 1932 the office was demolished. Tomassi's Restaurant opens in the High Street. A restaurant that is still very much alive today and very popular by young and old alike, probably due to its fantastic Ice Cream menu which tops off an excellent meal. Johnson & Jago. A Leigh ship builders founded this year, and would become integral to the war effort by providing a turn a round service for the many marine and military craft used during operations. During 1940-44 the company turned around £2 million worth of ships in repairs. They also launched 35 112ft naval M.L.s (used in Commando raids, as mine-layers, hospital carriers, anti- submarine craft), also 15 motor fishing craft and 18 harbour service craft. The firm at the time employed around 200 employees. 1933 The land of Southend Airport is bought by the Corporation, the 157 acre site cost £20,000. The Borough expands. Eastwoodbury, Eastwood and Shoebury were incorporated into the Borough. Raising the population to around 130,000. First baby born. The new General Hospital was settling in providing a quality medical service to the town's population, it was nicely recorded on 2nd February the hospital welcomed its very first baby born. Cricket at Chalkwell. The Essex 1st XI used Chalkwell Park for first time in 1933. This continued through until the 70’s, with a sea-saw of fixtures between Southchurch Park ensuing. Essex played their last match on the ground in 1976, although it is still used by Westcliff-on-Sea CC. Greyhounds arrive. In May the Southend Stadium opened on the site of the old brickworks in Grainger Road. Built by a private company Southend Stadium Ltd for the purpose of racing Greyhounds, but later home to Southend United. A Speedway track arrived in 1948. It could accommodate 25,000 people, with some 8,000 under stadium cover. The greyhound track was 500 yds in length. The site today is mainly a shopping centre with Matalan and Mecca Bingo taking over. New map. Southend Borough Council developed a ward map in 1933, showing 11 wards, including Pier Ward and Saint Clement's Ward, both no longer exist. Joining the line. 1933 was a significant year for the ward of Chalkwell. Located between Leigh and Westcliff, an affluent area which is graced with a significant park and now its very own rail station. Located on the 'London Tilbury and Southend' Line, the station became an essential stop off for later cricket matches in the park, and commuters moving into the many houses close by. The station formally opened on 11th September 1933, a short trip, but mainly coastal route, from Leigh, and at the point as the line turned in land and started the incline to Westcliff. The station would also prove handy for trippers looking for a more sedate beach experience, or a hearty jaunt along the prom towards the pier. Band-standers get cover. The popularity of the bandstand as a feature on Southend's cliff top led to a need to provide more and more facilities to the growing audiences. 1933 saw all-weather accommodation and cover for the thousands of music lovers on 8th April be formally opened by Mayor Tweedy-Smith. Shorefields purchased. Even by 1933 large plots in the town were still in private ownership, this year the corporation purchased Shorefields for £14,500. Subsequent powers to purchase intervening housing was acquired to enable the extension of the cliffs and the execution of much needed road improvements. Boat hits pier again. 'Pier closed for repairs'... but all-right for Easter! 150-ton barge 'Matilda Upton' crashes into Southend Pier at height of great gale." Moored off Westcliff, the barge dragged it's anchor and ploughed into the pier, two crewmen on board escaped by jumping onto the pier causeway at the moment of impact. They went back aboard to rescue the cat locked in the bosun's quarters. The cost of the damage to the pier was estimated at £5,000. October. Inclusion of Shoeburyness and Eastwood. Population 130,000, rateable value £1,381,269. Area 10,333 acres. 1934 Keddies reveal their new look shop front. New Rail Station for Leigh. 4th January 1934 saw the opening of the new Leigh-on-Sea Station. Replacing the one in Old Leigh High Street (pictured above) serving the LTS line. This change allowed for a new purpose built 3 platforms, and for the road north of the original station to widen with demolishing of the buildings north of the line. The District Line on the underground once proclaimed a non stop service from the centre of London to the Southend area, and Leigh (new station) was the first to be called after Barking. St. John’s Ambulance Southend take delivery of their brand new 22 horsepower Commer vehicles. The Hippodrome changes. The live entertainment venue of the town changed not only it's name to the Gaumont but also made many physical changes to this huge theatre. With new paving laid, a brand new canopy, and the façade was awash with neon lighting, not forgetting the major changes in the auditorium and lighting. The grand opening on 18th January 1934 saw the films 'Meet My Sister' and 'A Cuckoo in the Nest' on show. Southend United move grounds. After 15 years based at the Kursaal ground, Southend United decided to break contract and move to the newly opened Southend Stadium, originally intended for the racing of Greyhounds. The site now is a shopping area with the likes of Lidl and Matalan as well as the Mecca Bingo Centre taking over the footprint. Bon Marche sells up. This large ladies boutique and general goods sold up shop in Alexandra Street, to be purchased by the Southend Police to add to it's growing building stock in the street. The main purpose to purchase was to address the lack of mortuary facilities within the town. In 1934 the new town's mortuary quite modern for the day situated to the rear of the building opened for business. The young officers in the police station next door were saddened, however, to see the end of the Bon Marche as the upstairs quarters were occupied by the young female sales assistants, a source for a number of romances. The mortuary served the town until 1961, when the role was undertaken by Southend General Hospital. Southend Airshow. Could this be the first Southend Airshow? As part of the 1934 Southend Hospital Carnival period this aerial spectacular took place. 1935 Southend Corporation opened Porters as a Civic Reception House and Mayor's Parlour. The Council purchased Leigh cliffs and the foreshore from the Salvation Army for £33,500. February. J. H. Burrows dies aged 80, Councillor, Mayor and Publisher, (J. H. Burrows and Sons publishers of the Southend Standard and others). Putting on the Ritz. Church Road saw the opening of the Ritz Cinema on 14th Feb 1935; sitting proud next to the Palace Hotel on Pier Hill. the premier programme was really special with the Mayor in attendance to formally open the cinema and the star Anna Neagle, of the first film 'Nell Gwyn' also on hand to provide the star quality. The cinema was a big venue with 2,225 seat, a Conacher organ and full stage facilities and a large bar upstairs with sea views. The building had a long life, even transforming into a Bingo Hall in its later years, until it fell into disrepair and demolished in 1981, to make way for the Royals Shopping Centre. Police arrive in Shoebury. A new police station in Elm Road, Shoeburyness was completed in March 1935; the Shoebury Division was ready along with a few others established across the borough in the same year. Grove House School, Grove Road demolished, on the site of the current Royals Shopping Centre. Chief retires. Chief Constable Kerslake retired from Southend Police in April 1935. Much to the relief of some of his force as he was well known for his military style of leadership, and did not appreciate fools lightly. However, he will be remembered and recognised for steering the force through a period of growth, from when he started as Chief Constable 21 years earlier, Southend had a tiny force with minimal equipment, his legacy would be a well disciplined force capable of delivering an excellent policing duty across the whole borough. The end of the pier gained a new lifeboat house and slipway this year. Illuminations. Southend started this year an illumination spectacular along the seafront. The Cliffs, promenade and the pier were all part of the display and would easily rival Blackpool. It was discontinued in 1939. Home Fleet on display. In May the Home Fleet lay off Shoeburyness and Southend for a week, as part of the Silver Jubilee celebrations for King George V. Astoria opens. The Southend Astoria was built on the former site of Luker's Brewery. Opened on 15th July 1935, the Astoria was a super-cinema of its time, sitting 2,750 people and housing a Compton organ, cafe, orchestra, stage facilities and no less than 14 dressing rooms. The opening night showing of Brewster's Millions, starring Jack Buchanan, attracted a massive crowd. The Astoria was later taken over by Odeon Theatres. New roller arrives. Courtesy of the Brussels Exhibition the new Cyclone Roller Coaster arrived in town at the Kursaal Amusement Park. Pier reaches 100. The pier celebrated its centenary on 23rd July 1935. It took place in this year rather than 1930, this date represented the Admiralty recognising Southend Pier on its charts, and was part of the Festival of Light, the very first illuminations display that would attract thousands for years to come, nationally it was only rivalled by Blackpool. Southend Airport opens. Bought by Southend Council in 1930, the airfield came into operation run by Southend Flying Club. On Wednesday 18th September 1935 an official opening of the Municipal Airport occurred with Sir Philip Sassoon Bt, GBE, CMG, MP (Under-Secretary of State for Air) as guest of honour. The day was some spectacle with a full programme of events including Converging Bombing by members of Southend Flying Club, the Astoria Grand Orchestra performed and a Mannequin Parade. The public were invited to pay for pleasure flights in an Avro 642 over Southend. Early coin unearthed. Coin finds have been numerous, including hoards at Rayleigh and Leigh and a gold coin of Honorius (395-423 A.D.) struck at Milan, was unearthed at Southchurch in 1935. Sir Henry arrives in town. A new MP arrived in Southend, Sir Henry 'Chips' Channon took up his seat in 1935 keeping it for some 23 years until his death. Famous for his outspokenness around the political circuit of his time, recorded in his published diaries, some still yet to be released. The election happened on 14th November 1935. 1936 FA Cup run. Southend United went into the third round against the mighty Spurs and held them at White Hart Lane 4-4, only to lose on 15th January bringing Tottenham to Southend 2-1. The Lindisfarne College in Valkyrie Road suffered a bad fire on 11th March 1936. June. The heaviest man in the world, Dick Harrow, aged 38, weighing 40 stones dies, while on show at the Kursaal. He served in the Royal Artillery in the first World War and was of normal weight, but in 1920 began to put on weight and became so heavy he could hardly move. A huge container-like coffin was made for his body and lifted on to a lorry by crane. He was buried in Sutton Road cemetery in a huge grave, Cannon Gowing conducted funeral. Southend architect born. Sir Peter Cook born in 1936 in Southend-on-Sea is a notable English Architect, teacher and writer about architecture. His most high profile job on his books is designing the 2012 Olympic Stadium in London. St Mellitus Centre opened in Oakhurst Road. Set up in 1936, the centre, which is managed by the Royal Association for Deaf People, is used by people from Southend, Rochford, Castle Point and Basildon. Large ship. The Mauretania the largest ship ever to sail in the River Thames, sailed past Southend Pier in 1936 en route to New York from George V Dock. Howard's Dairies. A common sight along the London Road, between Hamlet Court Road and Milton Road, providing most of the dairy products to the town. Two Tree purchased. Leigh acquired a new island in 1936 when the council purchased Two Tree Island from the Salvation Army. It became a mixed use environment mainly for waste with it becoming a landfill site as well as a sewerage point between 1960 and 1990. These days things have moved on to make the island far more attractive and is known for its natural beauty and is a well regarded area for twitchers seeking out rare varieties of birds. In the autumn blackberry pickers swarm the area. There is also a very active model aircraft club flying their planes regularly. Two Tree also provides some sweeping views inland towards Hadleigh Castle and Old Leigh. Ambulance Service arrives. Southend Police Station adopted the first ambulance to serve the town in 1936. Basing it within the newly adapted garages at it's main HQ in Alexandra Street. 1937 First double decker bus to run in Essex. It ran from the L.M.S. Railway Station to Shoebury. The town acquired the area now known as the Seaway car park, of 4 ½ acres at a cost of £31,000. Building of the cycle track along the Arterial Road starts. January. Southend Welfare Council opens soup kitchen. Coronation celebrations. The Coronation of King George VI and Queen Elizabeth on May 12th, 1937 was celebrated in Southend at the relatively new venue of the Southend Stadium just off Sutton Road. Argyll flats built. Along Western Esplanade sits this large white art-deco styled block of flats. They were iconic then and still now and form the character of Westcliff seafront. Dick Clement born in Westcliff. Dick Clement, OBE (born 5 September 1937) is an English writer. Born in Westcliff-on-Sea, Clement is, in partnership with Ian La Frenais, one of the most successful television writers in Britian. Generally, Clement and La Frenais write comedies, or dramas with a comic tone. Their fame rests primarily on four series, The Likely Lads, Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads? Porridge and Auf Wiedershen Pet. Steamers collide. The Royal Archer and the Glennifer collided off Shoeburyness. The weather was dreadful with a heavy fog in place; the lifeboat J. B. Proudfoot was launched and successfully managed, once the vessels were found, to rescue some grateful 49 Glennifer passengers. Fire hits Floral Hall. The Floral Hall on Western Esplanade has been hit by a disastrous fire in August the height of the summer season. This live entertainment venue provided many a visitor an extra bit of fun to their day trip to Southend, or a refuge during inclement weather. Prior to the Floral Hall many will remember the open 'Happy Valley' stage. Empire Palace Cinema closed. Due to the intense competition in the borough the Empire Palace Cinema flickered through its final movie on 9th December 1937. The cinema sat to the rear of the Grand Hotel alongside Overtons Car Dealers. The building was used for mainly retail purposes afterwards, but finally succumbed to the demolisher’s in January 2009. 1938 Southend’s last tram ran this year. Belfairs Nature reserve opened. Pride of Westminster launched. A new boat service from Westminster to Southend was launched in April 1938. To provide an alternative to conventional land transport, this service would take passengers the full route from Central London to Southend Pier. May. Holiday pleasure vessel the Dreadnought is wrecked by terrible gales, of 90 craft moored off Westcliff, only 15 were left afloat. British Home Stores opens their first store in Southend High Street. Southend High School for Boys opens. Earls Hall School opens. Telephone use booming. As technology improved and the availability widened to access private telephone lines the number had reached an amazing 21,247. Searing sun. The Daily Sketch ran a front-page photo on Monday 1st August 1938, of a packed beach on Southend seafront, reporting the temperature hitting the 80's and thousands of holidaymakers sleeping on the beach and around the pier, due to packed guest houses and hotels. October. Laying of foundation stone of Municipal Hospital Extension at Rochford by HRH The Duchess of Kent, C.I. 1939 Southend Arterial Road was dualled. Busy Bandstand season. Although war was around the corner the show went on at the Bandstand, with a staggeringly long season starting on 7th April with the Royal Tank Corps Band, ending on 2nd October with the Royal Dragoons. The variety of bands was dominated by the military with shows from the Welsh Guards, Royal Marines, even the Jamaica Military Band; but also civilian representation was there too with the Metropolitan Police Band, Waldini and His Gypsy Band also Percy Bush and His Orchestra. The Met opens. Westcliff saw the arrival on 10 April 1939 of the Metropole Cinema. A technicolour movie was on show on opening night 'Kentucky' starring Loretta Young and Richard Greene. Most cinemas in the town seemed to be hit by the scourge of fire, however, strangely enough the Metropole endured flooding in 1940 and forced its closure for two years. In May 1954 the cinema became an Essoldo. it changed its name to Classic in 1972; in 1973 a second cinema was added into the building. Ideally located on the London Road, (site of Halfords). It had seating for 1,189. The cinema had along life and survived until February 1991. Essex athletic championships. The Essex Athletic and Cycling Championships were held on Saturday 19th June 1939 in Southchurch Park. A full committee worked to provide an elaborate festival which was enjoyed by a huge audience. July. Southend Women’s Voluntary Service was formed, when 1,658 women came forward to help if war came. By 5th September, there was a highly efficient organisation under the leadership of Mrs. Leyland, Mrs. Sylvester and Mrs. Copeland, and throughout the war years the W.V.S. rendered magnificent service in a great many directions. Southend High School for Boys, Prittlewell Chase opens. New garden for Priory Park. At the Mayor's (Alderman Dowsett) Garden Party on 27th July 1939, the Old World Garden was opened in Priory Park, alongside the Priory complete with fountains and walled seating. Even today this small part of the 48 acre park commands respect and liking for all ages due to it's tranquillity. The Seafront commandeered for War Duty. Southend Pier became a first line of defence and an essential link to the Naval Fleets in the Estuary, the Navy took over the Pier on 25th August 1939, and the Pier closed to the public on 9th September 1939 and took up its role as becoming part of HMS Leigh, a name given to the seafront area commandeered by the Royal Navy and included properties on Royal Terrace as well as the Grand Pier Hotel, which gained a fascinating Naval mural on a wall in one of the bars painted by personnel employed in managing the convoys through the estuary. On 22nd November 1939 the first and only serious attack was made on the pier, the Germans machine-gunned the Pier, they dropped fourteen parachute mines between the Chapman Light off Canvey and the Boom. Due to the pier being so strongly defended it was never attacked again for the duration of the war. 1st September. World War II starts. Police War Reserve. On 4th September 1939, the first 95 men were sworn into the Police War Reserve. Utilising the hall to the rear of the Westminster Bank at 13-15 London Road. Extra duties were required of this force not least keeping an eye on the many empty properties due to evacuation. But also maintaining a blackout situation, Southend's geographical position made this even more crucial. Southend switched on. London Road became the location for a new telephone exchange in 1939. Allowing the town to be better prepared during a period when war loomed and Southend becoming a crucial military zone. Today a large British Telecom block exists just off London Road on North Road. October. Construction starts of the Cliffs Pavilion on the Shorefields site, but is delayed by the War. After the War Southend Council cancelled the scheme. In 1960 the Council agreed to the first stage of the scheme which included a hall seating 1,200 and restaurant. The building finally opened in 1964. The Prittlebrook. Sluice gates were added at intervals between Leigh and Prittlewell. This created an emergency water supply of 1,160,000 gals. Southend High school for Boys relocated to Prittlewell Chase. The boom time. East Beach in Shoebury became guardian to a new structure, a defence boom. It consisted of wooden piles driven into the sands both sides of the Thames stretching to the edges of the deep water channel. Once the deep water channel was reached an anti-submarine net was placed across the remaining stretch of river. Stationed along the net there were large barges called lighters weighing some 200 tons. The boom was armed with anti-aircraft guns & searchlights, the purpose of the boom was to prevent enemy submarines from attacking anchored shipping in the river. It also prevented attack by enemy surface ships. The boom was dismantled after the war and all that remains today are the wooden piles with concrete reinforcing stretching out for just over 1 Kilometre into the Thames. Carnival attracts the stars. This year's carnival celebrations, the last before the war, was endorsed by celebrity attendance, film stars Trevor Howard and Gret Gynt both performed the duties of crowning the court. Church assists war effort. St John's Church beside the Palace Hotel, with the acquisition of most of the seafront, gave there Church Hall for the benefit of the troops. It became known as the 'Ship's Club' and was used for canteen, instruction and social activities, many stage shows were put on and Frankie Howard made one of his earliest public performances here. The Royal Terrace became a Control Station to help with safe passage of some 3,000 convoys, the white ensign that flew above the terrace now hangs within the Church in the North Transept.

Southend Timeline Southend-on-Sea © 2009 - 2021 All Rights Reserved

1930 - 1939
Ekco Priory Works
Albert Marchinsky
Johnnie Walker Live Scoreboard
“You’re nicked, sunshine!”
The first Rossi ice cream parlour Photo Courtesy of Patricia Volante
Chalkwell Railway Station
Cricket at Chalkwell Park
Southend Stadium
Air Display
Porters
Sir Peter Cook
Howard’s Daries Advert
Site of the Empire Palace
Metropole Cinema
Plaque in Priory Park
Southend Seafront from the Air
Gret Gynt
Website Info:
IMELINE
T
OUTHEND
S
SOUTHEND TIMELINE
Southend’s No 1 History Website! Documenting The Town & The Townspeople Now Incorporating the Sea of Change Website
The New