Southend Timeline - Southend-on-SeaCemetery Sutton Road Gallery01:1953 The Crematorium Sutton Road. 02-04:2020 The Crematorium, Sutton Road. 05-12:2020 The Sutton Road Cemetery.Images Subject to Copyright
With an ever growing population, changing attitudes and the lack of space for burials a new crematorium and cemetery opened in 1953 at Sutton Road, Southend-on-Sea, which consisted of two service chapels. The West chapel seating 100 people with ample standing room and the South chapel seating forty four people with minimal standing room. To date the building is situated on an eight acre site within the crematorium memorial grounds there are formal gardens, a sunken rose garden, a rock garden, Pergola walk and parking for 80 cars.