Chalkwell Hall
Chalkwell Hall was built in 1830, and was owned and occupied by Mr Thomas Bear, a farmer, his farmland originally extended right down to the seafront. In 1903 the Hall and a portion of the land were purchased by the Southend Corporation for nearly £20,000 for the use of the public, with the remainder sold off for development. Although the building is of no real architectural or historical importance, near by remains were discovered many years ago which suggested that the original house was fortified and surrounded by a moat. When this fell into desuetude another house was built, in the reign of Henry VII (1485 - 1509), fronting the river and nearer to Leigh. It was demolished in 1832, when the present house was erected. To the east of the building a mound was opened in the c1880, in belief that remains might be buried beneath it, but only a few bones and coins and a piece of chain were discovered. The grounds known as Chalkwell Hall Park (Chalkwell Park) surrounds the Hall, originally the gardens on the south side were tastefully laid out and a favourite resort of the townspeople. The portions on the north side were devoted to cricket, tennis, hockey, and bowls, with two asphalt courts being laid for tennis, it was the headquarters of the Westcliff Cricket Club who were established in 1900. In 1914 the bandstand from Pier Hill was relocated to the park grounds. Their was a mini zoo, with caged animals which housed monkeys, rabbits and birds just to name a few, the star attraction was Lulu the Bear. The park for many years has played host to a travelling fair during Southend Carnival week.

Southend Timeline Southend-on-Sea © 2009 - 2022. All Rights Reserved

c1900 Chalkwell Hall, Image from the Terry Herbert Collection
The Bandstand on Pier Hill
Southend-on-Sea’s No 1 History Website! Documenting The Town & The Townspeople
Now Incorporating The Sea Of Change Website
Website Info:
Chalkwell ▪ Eastwood ▪ Leigh-on-Sea ▪ Prittlewell ▪ Shoeburyness ▪ Southchurch ▪ Thorpe Bay ▪ Westcliff-on-Sea